The year to prioritize your overall health, while feeling the most beautiful in your own skin!
We all have mixed feelings about new year's resolutions. Some of us take the time to consider some things we want to change or accomplish throughout the new year, others may not even bother. Even if we do come up with some resolutions, it can happen quite often that we don’t end up actually pulling through on the promises we made to ourselves. What about in 2023, we focus more on valuable promises like working to improve ourselves physically and mentally step by step? Make this year to add simple but effective changes in your style, diet, and more!
Health + wellness
A common new year’s resolution among many of us is to “lose weight” or “get in shape.” While not a poor choice, these options are not the only way to keep up with maintaining a healthy lifestyle. There are simple things you can start doing in your everyday life to help improve your overall health and wellness.
Up to 70 million Americans are affected by insomnia each year. Not being able to fall asleep, stay asleep, or get back to sleep are habits common among many of us especially as adults. Lack of sleep can affect multiple parts of our life including our health, relationships, and work.
If you’ve been having problems with sleep, consider changing up your routine:
- Set an alarm for yourself to get into bed at a certain time. This can be helpful if you find yourself losing track of time at night often and staying up too late.
- Stop drinking so much caffeine, especially in the evenings! If you’re going to drink coffee or an energy drink for instance, do that earlier in the day. Caffeine should not be consumed typically anytime after 4 p.m.
- Create a bedtime routine. Some nights we’re just so exhausted that it can feel like so much energy to get ready before bed, but doing so will help ensure a complete and peaceful sleep.
Exercise is a vital part of our overall health and wellness so it’s important we are incorporating it in our lives as adults. You don’t need a gym membership or an extensive workout routine, it’s just important to keep your body moving and active overall.
Here are some ways to incorporate more exercise in your lives this year:
- Prioritize walking wherever you go! If you’re on lunch break at work for example and there’s a place to eat close by in walking distance, walk there. Even shopping at a mall can be a good form of exercise because of how much walking in total you do!
- Yoga is a great form of exercise. Yoga helps to build muscle tone and strength and is not too rough on the body.
- If you don’t ride bikes, this is also another great option for some exercise. Especially in the cooler months like fall, take a quick ride around your neighborhood and enjoy the views!
At least a 20-30 minute walk is a great way to get your body out and moving without too much strenuous activity.
Because it is so common for people to want to lose weight as part of their new year’s resolutions, many of us feel like we need a drastic change in our diets. However, even small changes can make a big difference over time.
Here are a few simple ways to change your eating habits:
- Keep more healthy foods in your home over unhealthy foods and snacks. This includes fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and low-fat dairy products.
- Don’t eat snacks out of packages, you’ll be tempted to eat so much more.
- If you feel like you eat too much whenever you cook, consider chewing gum while you are cooking. That can help to suppress your appetite a bit more.
Beauty in your own skin
Each of us hold different definitions for what defines beauty and what makes us “beautiful.” Some things we typically consider when it comes to beauty are our hair, skin, and nails, which also work to protect essential parts of us like our nerves, bones, and blood vessels.
It’s common for us to want to do something different with our hair every once in a while. Has there been a particular style or color that’s been on your mind recently? If so, take the chance this new year to go ahead and do something different.
Another common element of beauty is our skin. Some of us are blessed with pretty decent skin, but others are not so fortunate. Whether it might be dry skin, oily skin, acne, etc., our skin can have a major impact on the way we see ourselves.
Try these natural remedies to get your skin glowing and healthy:
- Soothe your skin with coconut oil: Coconut oil is an excellent moisturizer and a great way to help your skin glow.
- Moisturize properly: Use products that promote healing and lock in moisture, even if your skin is already oily.
- Aloe Vera: Aloe Vera is great to use to help treat and prevent acne because of its antibacterial properties. Aloe vera can also stimulate cell growth without clogging your pores
- Drink more water! Hydration will keep the skin looking its absolute best.
It’s important to maintain good health within our nails to make sure dirt and bacteria is removed properly to decrease the risk of potential infections. Nail vitamins such as this one from HUM work to also help with nail thickness and strength.
Overall, remember to make it a resolution to care more for yourself this year both mentally and physically. Hopefully this guide will help you with some of the steps to get there!